Monday, September 1, 2014

Boost Your I.Q.

So goes the claim in a piece I found on Townhall of all places. The money quote:
And all you need to get started is this book (link deleted), a 9-volt battery, a couple of wires, a 2 milli-Amp resistor and two moist sponges to attach to your head and your left arm....
I would suggest the author try this and see how long it takes for him to realize that resistors are measured in Ohms, not Amperes.

P.S. The adage about "if a little is good and a lot is better then too much should be about right" does NOT apply to self induced electroshock therapy even though if you win a Darwin Award, we all win.

2 comments:

jed said...

I would most assuredly not be trying this using directions which specify a 2 "milli-Amp" resistor. That's just nonsense.

2 kilo-ohm? 2 mega-ohm? Uh, a resistor sized to draw 2mA from 9V? That'd be 4.5Mohm resistor, but is that what's being specified?

Billll said...

Alas settling the confusion would involve buying the book which I suspect would confirm that you need your I.Q. raised.

I remember seeing an article in the web somewhere showing the apparatus hooked up to someone. It looked to me like the battery was connected to the sponges, located about as described, with a variable resistor in the circuit which you turned up until becoming smarter started becoming uncomfortable.