Monday, March 2, 2015

Product Design

It's what I do for a living some times, so this struck a chord:
At one time or another, I've owned several products that must have been designed by Dogbert. My current clock-radio for example sets the time automatically by eavesdropping on the US bureau of standards and adding 13 minutes to the received number. I have no idea how to fix this. All efforts have been futile. Fortunately it doesn't matter as I seldom look at it for the time, and it gets me up on time.

Turning the radio off in the morning is another problem. Imagine waking up, and reaching for the shutoff button in the dark. All the buttons are black on a black background, smaller than a finger tip and the shutoff button is differentiated only by being ever so slightly concave. Here's where being a shooter comes in handy. No I did not use my CZ on the clock.

I had picked up some Airsoft pellets at the range and super-glued one to the shutoff button. Take that doggie! Foiled you again!

No comments: